Hosted by NatickFOSSTweet Share Share
Invitation to attend: Jan 9, 2020 FREE SOFTWARE Meeting
Draft Agenda; some of this and maybe more
- FOSS Introductory Slide Talk (If newcomers are present by 3PM.)
- Raffle item(s): A black genuine-imitation leather CD/DVD Case (like new; MMS), and a Rosewill RNA-3010 Travel Kit (new, MMS).
- Members' Introductions (name, town and computer proficiency): Optionally, solicit suggestions re your FOSS stumbling block
- Help Session Report:
- The FOSS News: Windows 7 support ends on January 14th; Linux and open-source rules! 2019's five biggest stories show why; Ubuntu turns 15; a look back (and forward); U.S. military loves Linux; ICE Contract With GitHub Sparks Developer Protests (Gloria Bloom).
- Hot Software: How to Make the Switch From Windows to Linux; Your Full Guide on Migrating from Windows 7 to Linux; Update on ZFS (Zetabyte File System) and its licensing in Ubuntu 19.10; Extend your laptop battery lifespan with TLP; A massive Search/Replace with the Geany text editor (demo by Jill Miller); Install UNetbootin from the Ubuntu PPA; Basic Linux Commands (demo by Jill Miller).
- Hot Hardware: The new $200 Pinebook Pro laptop (demo by Algot Runeman); Ubuntu on the $55 Raspberry Pi 4 Model B with 4GB of RAM (further demo).
- Hot Internet: The Free Software Foundation presents "ShoeTool"; Most-read LinuxLinks stories of 2019.
- Security and Privacy: Botnet and the Laws (Bob Primak); The new California Consumer Privacy Law may help us, too; Colleges are turning students' phones into surveillance machines; Stop your phone from eavesdropping (Jill Miller); Ubuntu Security Notices for Ubuntu 19.10.
- How to ID random junk mail (more trouble from Dick's Junk Mailbox) "Undeilvered Mail".
- FOSS Q&A
Jan. 9, 2020, 3 p.m. - Jan. 9, 2020, 6 p.m.